Thank you for your interest in becoming a Mentor with Wedu! As a Mentor, you will have a rewarding and fulfilling journey. You will have the power to assist a mentee to develop as a leader. The position of Mentor carries with it the responsibility of interacting appropriately with your mentee, according to the highest ethical standards at all times, as outlined in our Mentor Code of Honour.
Please read the following guidelines carefully and sign below.
As a Wedu Mentor, I agree to the following:
1. I will be fully committed to my mentee’s leadership development and will devote appropriate time to the mentorship and assignments.
2. I will never intentionally do or suggest anything which may risk the physical or psychological security of myself nor another person within Wedu.
3. As a Wedu Mentor, I understand that I will be able to support my mentee with the following:
a. Help to identify personal and professional goals
b. Find answers through a process of self-evaluation
c. Provide knowledge/guidance on how to fulfill aspirations
d. Guide through thinking and decision-making
4. I understand that I will not be required to help my mentee with the following:
a. Direct funding
c. Editing homework or publications
d. Resolving personal legal issues or trauma
5. I will choose to be present. I will not be distracted by the phone, meetings, nor calls while with my mentee.
6. I will honour the expected time commitment of the Mentorship Programme: two mentorship sessions per month via phone or other voice application; suggested duration for each mentoring session is around one hour per session.
a. I understand that if I am unable to attend the scheduled mentorship session, it is my responsibility to notify my mentee at least 24 hours in advance.
7. If I am unable to keep to this commitment for two months or more for any reason, I understand that I would be adversely impacting:
a. My relationship with my mentee and Wedu. I risk being suspended from the programme so that Wedu can match my mentee with another mentor.
8. I will honour the mentee opening up by opening up myself.
9. I will share with Wedu my experience and concerns through calls, emails, and surveys.
10. I will appreciate the diversity of this experience and approach my mentee’s unique background, culture, and challenges with an open mind.
11. I will inform Wedu before making plans to meet my mentee, any Rising Star, or Wedu Programme Participant in person.
a. I will inform the Leadership Development Team of the date, time, and location of the meeting.
b. I will ensure the meeting takes place in a public space without alcohol or drugs.
c. I will decline any in-person meetings with my mentee, any Rising Star, or other Wedu Programme Participant if I do not feel comfortable doing so, and I will notify the Leadership Development Team.
12. I understand that professional responsibilities continue beyond the mentorship relationship. I agree to maintain confidentiality of all information relating to my mentee.
13. I will demonstrate professionalism with all individuals I interact with through the Mentorship Programme, including fellow Mentors, Rising Stars,Programme Participant and the Wedu staff. I will respect the variety of different approaches to mentorship.
14. I will acknowledge Wedu when speaking at public events or writing in public forums on topics related to my experience as a Wedu Mentor.
15. I will inform Wedu when I am recognised by other organisations related to leadership development or mentorship.
16. I understand that Wedu prioritises my well-being, and I will contact the Leadership Development Team if any issues arise so that my mentee, Wedu, and I can resolve the problem together.
17. I understand that if I share any concerning information that negatively impacts my personal safety, my mentee has an obligation to disclose and share that information with Wedu’s Leadership Development Team to prioritise my well-being.
18. If I become aware that my mentee’s safety or the safety of another person is in jeopardy through disclosure from my mentee (e.g. child abuse, sexual abuse, etc.), I will report my concern to the Leadership Development Team immediately.
19. I acknowledge that my participation in Wedu's Mentorship Programme is voluntary. If I identify that I need to take a break (Leave of Absence) or discontinue my participation, I will notify Wedu’s Leadership Development Team.
20. If I have any questions or concerns that arise during my participation in the Mentorship Programme, I will reach out directly to Wedu’s Leadership Development Team by sending an email to email@example.com.
Your commitment and dedication to your mentee is a profound opportunity and experience. The quality of the relationship you build will directly influence her life and future. By signing this, you are committing to make every effort to maintain professionalism, improve your mentoring skills, and exercise good judgment when engaged in any activity with your mentee.
Mentoring is not a universal cure for all the problems/decisions that your mentee is facing. The essence of mentoring is a sustained human relationship: a one-on-one relationship that shows the mentee that she is valued as a person and is important to society.