Congratulations on applying to be a Rising Star! As a potential Rising Star, you will have a rewarding and fulfilling journey. Wedu and your Mentor are committed in supporting you on your leadership journey. Your decision to apply to be a Rising Star indicates that you believe in your ability to create positive change in your community and the world. Being a Rising Star carries the responsibility of interacting appropriately with your Mentor, according to the highest ethical standards at all times, as outlined in our Rising Star Code of Honour.
Please read the following guidelines carefully and sign below.
If I am selected as a Rising Star, I agree to the following:
1. I will be fully committed to my leadership development and will devote appropriate time to my mentorship and assignments.
2. I will never intentionally do or suggest anything which may risk the physical or psychological security of any person associated with Wedu.
3. I understand that my Mentor will be able to support me in the following:
a. Help me identify my personal and professional goals
b. Find answers through a process of self-evaluation
c. Provide knowledge/guidance on how to fulfill aspirations
d. Guide me through thinking and decision making
4. I understand that my Mentor will not be required to support me in the following:
a. Direct funding
c. Editing homework or publications
d. Resolving personal legal issues or trauma
5. I will be present. I will not be distracted by the phone, meetings, nor calls while with my Mentor.
6. I will honour the expected time commitment of the Leadership Development Programme: two mentorship sessions per month via phone or other voice application; suggested duration for each mentoring session is one hour per session.
a. I understand that if I am unable to attend the scheduled mentorship session, it is my responsibility to notify my Mentor at least 24 hours in advance.
7. If I am unable to keep to this commitment for two months or more for any reason, I understand that I would be adversely impacting:
a. My relationship with my Mentor and Wedu. I risk being suspended from the program so that Wedu can match my Mentor with another Rising Star.
b. My ability to access future leadership opportunities (i.e., funding, speaking opportunities, recommendation letters, conferences, and so forth).
8. I will honour the Mentor opening up by opening up myself.
9. I will share with Wedu my experience and concerns through calls, emails, and surveys.
10. I will appreciate the diversity of this experience and approach my Mentor’s unique background, culture, and challenges with an open mind.
11. I will inform Wedu before making plans to meet a Wedu Mentor in person.
a. I will inform the Leadership Development Team of the date, time, and location of the meeting.
b. I will ensure the meeting takes place in a public space without alcohol or drugs.
c. I will decline any in-person meetings with my Mentor or others in Wedu’s Mentorship Programme if I do not feel comfortable, and I will notify Wedu’s Leadership Development Team.
12. I understand that professional responsibilities continue beyond the mentorship relationship. I agree to maintain confidentiality of all information relating to Mentors.
13. I will demonstrate professionalism with all individuals I interact with through the Mentorship Programme, including fellow Rising Stars, Mentors, and the Wedu staff. I will respect the variety of different approaches to mentorship.
14. I will acknowledge Wedu when speaking at public events or writing in public forums on topics related to my experience as a Rising Star.
15. I will inform Wedu when I am recognized by other organizations related to my leadership development.
16. I understand that Wedu prioritises my well-being and I will contact the Leadership Development Team if any issues arise so that my Mentor, Wedu, and I can resolve the problem together.
17. I understand that if I share any concerning information that negatively impacts my personal safety, my Mentor has an obligation to disclose that information with the Leadership Development Team to prioritise my well-being.
18. If I become aware that my Mentor’s safety or the safety of another person is in jeopardy through disclosure from my Mentor (e.g., child abuse, sexual abuse, etc.), I will report my concern to the Leadership Development Team immediately.
19. I understand that Wedu financial support options are offered only after I have been accepted as a Rising Star for a minimum of 6 months. I understand that applying for these opportunities is optional and funding is not guaranteed.
20. I acknowledge that my participation in Wedu's Mentorship Programme is voluntary. If I identify that I need to take a break (Leave of Absence) or discontinue my participation, I will notify Wedu’s Leadership Development Team immediately to give other deserving Rising Stars the opportunity to grow.
21. If I have any questions or concerns that arise during my participation in the Mentorship Programme, I will reach out directly to Wedu’s Leadership Development Team by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Becoming a Rising Star will be a profound opportunity and experience. By signing this you are committing to make every effort to maintain professionalism, improve your leadership skills, and exercise good judgment when engaged in any activity with your Mentor.
Mentorship is not a universal cure for all the problems/decisions that you are facing. The essence of mentorship is a sustained human relationship: a one-on-one relationship that shows that both parties are valued as people and are important to society.