2019 YSEALI Generation Workshop: Advancing Gender Equality
Call for Applications
The U.S. Embassy Bandar Seri Begawan will host the YSEALI Generation Workshop: Advancing Gender Equality in Brunei Darussalam from October 7th to 11th 2019 (travel on October 7th to Brunei and travel back to respective countries on October 11th).
The program will bring 50 emerging leaders from all eleven YSEALI member countries (Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, and Timor Leste), both men and women aged 20-35 years with experience and/or interest in areas of gender equality and women’s empowerment.
The Workshop aims to:
- Create a network of young Southeast Asian leaders who work across national borders to solve common problems;
- Find collaborative ways to closing the gender gap, and identify reasons behind gender inequality in Southeast Asia;
- Promote the advancement of women in society and reduce the use of stereotypes that keep women in lower-level roles; and
- Nurture an ASEAN community and solidified partnership between both men and women to narrow the gender gap together.
The program will consist of three phases: pre-workshop webinars and online engagement, a three-day workshop in Brunei Darussalam, and post-workshop follow on activities.
The in-person Workshop will include:
- Informational Sessions and Panel Discussion with experts specializing in specific topics related to the issue of gender equality in the ASEAN region
- Collaborative Group Project Pitching Competition
- Site Visit to Local Organization and Volunteer Session
- Mentoring Sessions
- Networking and Cultural Events
- Keynote Speaker
Workshop includes the potential for follow-on small grant funding.
All travel, lodging, and Workshop costs will be sponsored by the U.S. State Department through the U.S. Embassy Bandar Seri Begawan, in cooperation with Wedu as the implementing partner.
- A YSEALI Member (Not a member yet? Join here!)
- A citizen and current resident of YSEALI member countries: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Timor Leste. Permanent Residents who do not hold any citizenship from other country and reside in ASEAN are eligible.
- Ages 20 – 35 (at the time of application and workshop)
- Have at least tertiary-level education qualification (e.g. Higher National Diploma, Degree or equivalent) or currently studying at tertiary-level education institutions in ASEAN.
- Have relevant experience and/or interest in areas of gender equality, women’s empowerment, or other related topics
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Are interested and able to participate in three online sessions prior to the Workshop (to be held in July, August and September)
- Are interested and able to travel to Brunei and attend the entire series of the in-person Workshop from October 7 to October 11, 2019
The application deadline is Sunday, March 31, 2019 at 11.59 PM UTC+7. All applications submitted past this date will not be accepted.
For questions, please contact the Wedu team at email@example.com. Please note that inquiries will be answered within 2-3 days. To receive a response on time please make sure to submit your inquiries well in advance of the deadline.